March 17, 1989

That is the day Keith and I eloped to the Federal Courthouse in downtown Tyler. Let's just say that that I managed to disappoint several people with this little maneuver.

There were several events that lead to this not so traditional wedding. We were engaged Feb. 28. The following week I left for a work related event in El Paso. During that trip, Keith lost his job and was going to need to find a new place to live. I was house sitting at the time, so what better place to live than with me. Now that would require a change in our status.

I had a former interior design client, who just happened to be a federal judge. Quick phone call, "Yes, I would love to perform your wedding." Go to the courthouse, get the license, wait the appropriate days and get married.

Oh yeah, the federal judge - a woman! So now this staunch Baptist girl has invited her finacee to live with her, decided to elope and have the audacity to be married by A WOMAN! O my!

My mother, didn't speak to me for 6 months. My daddy couldn't have been happier and couldn't wait to give us money that he didn't have to spend for a wedding. Our Sunday School class was flabbergasted, our Singles' Minister - extremely dissapointed. He's since come around.

Speculation of pregnancy - unfounded. True love - proven. Still going strong 22 years later.

Now while I don't recommend this course of events for everyone, it was right for us and helps me to NOT judge others and their relationships. Our love for the Lord and each other has seen us through to this point in our life.
Happy Anniversary to US!

Comments