Touring THE Capitol

My boys and I just returned from DC. We spent 3 LONG days hiking the Nation's Capitol. And I do mean hiking. Some of you may not realize HOW long the National Mall is. It is REALLY LONG! We saw the Capitol, the Whitehouse, Washington Monument, WW II Memorial, Lincoln Monument, Korean Memorial, WW I Memorial, Library of Congress, National Archives, Air & Space Museum, National Museum of American History, National Museum of Natural History, National Gallery of Art, National Museum of the American Indian, the Old Post Office with clock tower, ESPN Zone, Hard Rock DC, Ford's Theatre, the Peterson House and spent and entire day at Mt. Vernon. Tired yet!

We still didn't see all we wanted to see. We couldn't get into Ford's due to a Presidential event happening Sunday night. We didn't make it to Arlington National Cemetery, the Vietnam Memorial or the Jefferson Monument. Too little time, definitely needed at least 2 more days.

I was proud of my guys for stepping out of their comfort zone and taking the Metro and the bus! We only were misplaced once when I took the wrong exit from the Metro. We were actually on the streets behind our hotel but it was dark and deserted. Thankfully a bus driver and security guard set us on the right path. I don't think the boys appreciated the adventure as much as I did.

DC is an amazing city and is was awing to be be able to view so much history. Mt. Vernon was absolutely indescribable. To actually be in the home belonging to the 1st President! WOW! So much is unchanged since his time there. Thanks to recent technology we were able to see how he looked at age 17. He was quite a handsome man. It was a wonderful way to spend the first day of our trip.

I was enthralled with the architecture and interiors of each building we passed and most of the museums we entered. I could have spent days digesting the interiors of each building.

Here are just a few of the exquisite interiors I encountered.
Inside the Library of Congress.


Rotunda of the National Museum of National History
National Archives
Hope you enjoyed the visit.

Comments